Sunday, January 07, 2007

Chris Cole's Posting

When I volunteered in July, we worked for three days before we got to spend an evening in New Orleans. On the trip back to Hilltop Rescue, somebody asked me if they could borrow something of mine. I said "when we get home, I'll let you borrow it." Earlier in the week, I had always referred to that place as "Camp Rowley," "Hilltop Rescue," or just "Hilltop."

When I said "home," I realized that my home is supposed to be in Columbus, Ohio where I live, and not Chalmette Louisiana. But somehow the word "home" fit, even though I knew we were going to work one more day and then come back to Ohio.

I was calling Hilltop Rescue "home"--It was a place with shower stalls, minimal privacy, uncomfortably hot work days doing mucking, bad smells, aches, pains, noises, and difficult draining work. What surprised me was that I was perfectly comfortable with calling that place "home."

I've realized that "Home" is wherever God takes us in life, doing whatever He calls us to do, living each day in His presence. The strength I found for getting through all the work we did--I found in Him.

Philippians 4:12-13
-------------------
God bless you,

-Chris

No comments: